Sunday, June 1, 2008

Ethni in the City

When I arrived last August in the city of New York, I was pleasantly surprised by the real melting pot. All these people who live together in spite of the cultural differences.
This picture was taken during the 2007 Korean festival. Most of the Koreans had left their "occidental clothes" and put on their traditional costumes.



I enjoy watching this image because the look of the girl disrupts me. She is looking in my direction and knows that I'm taking her picture. However, she doesn't try to impress me, she is just staring at me. Her screw up eyes allow to give an intensity to the face. Furthermore, the red of her "Hankok" (Korean traditional dress) emphasizes her milky skin.

I put her in the foreground because she is the central element. On the background, we can catch sight of two other people. One who seems to be old and the other one, on the right, who should have the same age as my principal character.

Her youthful face, and her hand near her mouth make us think that she is pure and candid. She doesn't look afraid of my objective, she just stays herself.

The acid effect is here to give an old-fashion perspective to the image. Nowadays, with the globalization, it becomes difficult to find those kind of clothes. It is the reverse effect which appears : we are all looking for the new fashion product who distort our own culture.

No comments: