Saturday, May 31, 2008

Street Asian Shoe Repairer



Below a noisy bridge, I saw a man who was waiting for clients in order to meet his needs. I went passed him several times and noticed nobody seemed interested by his services. He was just looking at people walking in front of him.
Moreover, I was one of these people but for an other reason. I really wanted to take a picture of him because his expression was so "real" but I was afraid he would refuse. However, after a long time of reflection, I decided to pluck up courage.
Then, I asked him and with a huge smile he simply answered "yes". I was so surprised (because of my fear of rejection) and really glad.
I noticed his upbringing by taking off his hat (without me asking him to). I took it as a sign of respect, integrity and a desire to please me.



This photograph shows a Man during his work as shoe repairer in the street. We see his materials, which could look old-fashion but always in usage; ready for our shoes to be taken care of. His position suggests a shy personality. His hands are grouped together around his left leg. It points a certain discomfort by the position to adopt.

However, when we look at his face, we can feel a pleasant sensation. He is staring at the objective with a deep emotion. He wants to give us a message who just him knows the secret and thanks to that, he throws us into his world. Which one? Let's wander.

This Man represents a real person in a real world who has to survive in our society but keeps his smile. He doesn't inspire the mercy but he breathes the joie de vivre and the Black and White aspect places emphasis on it.

3 comments:

michael said...

This is a strong portrait. I really like how you filled the frame with all the tools of this shoe repairer. I think it kind of tells his story in a way.

K.P. said...

This photo has a nice timeless quality to it. It could be NYC or it could be almost anywhere in the world. It is an interesting photo to look at because you included his tools and his environment.

©™ said...

the quailty of this photo is amazing...choosing b&w was the rite choice....make me think as if it was in the 1900's due to the how the subject is placed in the photo and the crispness of the picture...really reminds me of a collodium print.