Saturday, May 31, 2008

Frogs in a Bag


I was walking in the streets of Chinatown, expecting a unforeseen situation and I wasn't disappointed... First, I saw an old Asian man staring at a bucket. So, I moved near him because I was intrigued.
Suddenly I saw, leaving from the bucket, his hand bringing a living frog and putting it in a plastic bag.
Then, I asked what those frog were for and he told me "to eat".
I was a little bewildered but I shouldn't be...in my country it is totally natural to eat some frog legs...



I entitled this photograph "Frogs in the Bag". Indeed, I tried to stay in a neutral position in comparison to the chock that I had felt when I heard "to eat".

Furthermore, seeing those frogs pile up in a transparent bag, without being aware (does a frog possess a conscious?) of their destination.

It raises a question in my mind : can we have the right to have the use of their living conditions in our consumption societies? Just treating an animal like a stupid object.

The look of the frog at the top of this "pyramid" invites me to question myself, my human condition. I am under the impression that she (I want to give her a status) is glaring at me, as if I did something wrong. Or maybe is she waiting for my help?

We can notice the pyramidal effect as well as the closed bag. Those frogs are living their last instant. The closure of the bag on top of the image, shows us an end... their last breath; their last life.

2 comments:

Mihir Desai said...

Bonjour Mademoiselle,
You like looking at details in pictures, you should try and stick to that make those details looks larger than life. I am referring to the frogs and the shoe repair guy. They are so fascinating, keep working on that unless you want to try something new.

Rosy said...

I absolutely love the frogs image i think is really original it represents something tiny a little detail happening in a huge city, but it says a lot about the people, the neighborhood and their culture. Algo i found interesting the colors and the detail that the image shows.